Soup is versatile. It is a great way to have all the nutrients you need in one bowl. It is easy to prepare such that you can make one big batch and freeze until the cold season arrives. And if you are not willing to wait a few weeks, you can start enjoying delicious soups right away.
Here are FIVE recipes for Best Soup for Bodybuilders. They are packed with protein to supply the muscles with the nutrients that every active man or woman needs. These soups are great as starter meals and side dishes.
Any recipe with the words muscle building is guaranteed to be packed with proteins and low in fat. That is exactly what the Muscle-Building Chilli is all about. This recipe can make up to 10 servings so you can either have it with friends and family or freeze the leftovers.
What you will need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 kg chicken breast
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- ½ cup corn kernels, frozen
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 3¾ cups light kidney beans
- 1¾ cups pinto beans
- 3¾ cups red kidney beans
- 2 cups barley
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 3 ¾ cups canned tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin, grounded
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups of water
- Use a non-stick pot or spray a regular pot with non-stick cooking spray
- Turn the heat on medium; add the olive oil, garlic, and onion.
- Cook until the onion and garlic are soft
- Add the mushrooms and bell peppers, and simmer for 5 minutes or until they become soft
- Add the chicken breasts, corn, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, salt, water, and sauce. Stir the ingredients and cook for 8 minutes
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the barley
- Cook for 25 minutes or until the meat is soft
- You can sprinkle some toppings like low-fat cheddar cheese when the soup is ready
This soup can make a rich starter meal or you can have it for lunch. We’ll be making eight servings with this recipe. It is super easy to make and it only requires about 45 minutes to prepare.
You will need:
- 2 cans Salmon, cooked
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil/ butter
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ tsp. Sea salt
- ½ tsp. Ground pepper
- ½ tsp. Fresh Dill
- 1 can creamed corn
- 2 cups low fat milk
- Use a large stockpot to melt the butter or olive oil.
- Add the onions, chopped celery, and green peppers
- Cook for 5 minutes until the ingredients become tender
- Now, add the chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, dill, ground pepper, and give the pot a generous stir
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then turn the heat to low
- Simmer for 40 minutes
- Now add the salmon, creamed corn, milk, and stir the mixture
- Simmer for another 15 minutes before serving
This recipe contains only 273 calories per serving with 16 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbohydrates, and 16 grams fat. It has the delicious flavour of salmon, spices, with a touch or chicken. It can be a great pre-workout soup because it has a high carb quantity which will be great as an energy source.
Italian Chicken and Chorizo Stoup
This soup has high amounts of protein. It will come in handy as a post-workout meal to facilitate healing and repair of torn muscles. It contains macronutrients which nourish the muscles so you can heal faster and have more energy to take on more weights.
You will need:
- ¼ kg chicken tenders; washed and chopped into bite-sizes
- 340 gm chorizo sausage, diced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 small-size red potatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 medium-size onion
- 1 sack blue or red corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups smoked cheddar
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, fire roasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper
- Heat a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat and add the olive oil
- Next, brown the chicken for two minutes
- Add garlic and diced chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Now add the potatoes, peppers, and onions. Stir the mixture, cover the pot, and cook for 5 minutes
- Now add the chicken soup and stir in the tomatoes, hot sauce, and kidney beans, and bring the soup to a boil
- Lower the heat and simmer for 12 minutes until the potatoes become tender
When the soup is ready, top it up with crushed tortillas and the shredded cheese. You can also garnish it with herbs, scallions, thyme, or fresh cilantro
This soup comes with plenty of flavour. You can serve it with low-fat cream or low-fat cheddar cheese. It will help you warm up before a workout or even as a post-workout snack.
You will need:
- ¼ kg ground turkey
- 1 ½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans, drained, washed, and mashed
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. chilli powder
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pot and place the turkey in the pot.
- Set the heat on medium-high and brown the turkey for 3 minutes. Let the turkey brown well on both sides.
- Stir in the onions and cook for 2 minutes or until they become soft
- Pour in the water and stir in the garlic, tomatoes, and kidney beans.
- Season with the chilli, pepper, paprika, oregano, cayenne, and salt
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and wait for it to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- You can again garnish this soup with cheddar cheese or sour cream for more flavour.
Diversified Chicken Soup
This is not your regular chicken soup with lots of water and vegetables. We’ll be beefing this up with more carbs and nutrient-dense ingredients. You can take this soup at any time of the day from breakfast or with dinner alongside rosemary olive bread or an apple sandwich.
You will need:
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 cup cabbage
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 large celery sticks, chopped
- Pour the chicken broth and water into a medium-sized pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add the onions, celery, thyme, carrots, and continue simmering for 30 minutes
- Now add the chicken breasts, cabbage, and egg noodles, and simmer without the cover for 10 minutes
- You can also add some pasta at the last step to up your carbohydrates intake.
- Garnish with dried cilantro or herbs of your choice
Thai Pork Soup
Pork is considered a good protein source more so after trimming the fat away. This recipe has only 9 grams of fat but it will provide you with almost half the ideal protein portion for bodybuilding.
You will need:
- ¼ kg ground pork
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 scallions with white and green part separated, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- fresh ginger, chopped into 1-cm pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms with caps thinly sliced and without the stems
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- fresh lime juice
- 10 wonton wrappers (1/2 cup), sliced into strips
- 1 bunch Cilantro leaves
- 1 red chilli pepper, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Use a large sauce pan to heat the oil over medium-high heat
- Add the ginger, garlic, scallion whites, and stir until fragrant
- Add the pork and brown for about 7-8 minutes
- Now add salt to taste and the mushrooms while stirring the mixture
- Cover the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until tender
- Next, add the fish sauce, chicken broth, and 2 cups of water, then bring the pot to a boil
- Reduce the heat and add the wonton wrappers and lime juice
- When the wonton wrappers become tender, add the scallion greens, cilantro, chilli peppers, and lime wedges before serving.
This recipe gives you 4-6 servings. As always, you can refrigerate the leftovers so you can have a bowl to come to after a day of heavy lifting. It provides the convenience of comfort especially if you are craving a comfort food that is warm.
Every bodybuilder needs to eat healthy food sources for bulking up. The best protein sources are from lean meats but canned soups do not cater for such needs. That’s why we have chosen these recipes to help you maintain quality mass and strength. There no need to reach for a milkshake after a workout when you can have these soups that are both filling and are full of high nutritional value.